martes, 28 de julio de 2009

i love teaching.

Yesterday I went to the school and taught my classes. Yesterday I focused mainly on the 5th grade class, and the teacher worked with the second grade class. I really want to know who made the decision to put those two grades together because there is NO overlap.
Anyway.
Yesterday we worked on decimals. It was very difficult for them to understand that you have to line up the decimal points. All of the teachers in Honduras go to the same school to learn how to be a teacher. Its a national program.
Today I worked with my second graders on adding numbers in two columns. Example:
17
+ 41

Most of the kids got that, but if they didn't I was able to give them serious one-on-one attention because the 5th graders had an exam on the math topics ive been working with them on! That was very exciting.
Anyway, my second graders are great. They are kids from Siete moving to Villa. Most of them are behind, but I know them really well from winter camp or I know their parents.
I really can't explain how much I love teaching these kids. They are so eager to learn that I just want to do it all day.

Then we walked with the kids to Villa so they can catch our bus to go back to Siete. This is another one of my favorite activities just talking with the villagers. They are all so funny and have really interesting perspectives on life.

I can't put into words how much i love it down here.

1 comentario:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Jessica Kahlenberg and I work in the assessment department at AIR. Priscilla, an IDP intern told me that you were working with Students Helping Honduras--which I went on for a week in May--and your dad gave me the link to your blog.

    It sounds like you're having a great time there. I'm so jealous--I really wish I could have spent long there! It's so neat that you're getting to teach the kids from Siete, they're such sweet kids.

    I really hope you keep updating your blog--it's really cool for me to read about your personal experiences and see how things are going for the community there.

    Please, keep writing, and have a great rest of your trip! :)

    ResponderEliminar